Monday, May 7, 2012

Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!

This week, May 7-11, marks the national Teacher Appreciation Week!

Below is an excerpt of a poem from Taylor Mali's What Teachers Make:

"You want to know what I make?"
"I make kids wonder."
"I make them question."
"I make them criticize."
"I make them apologize and mean it."
"I make them write."
"I make them read, read, read."
"I make them spell definitely beautiful, definitely
beautiful, and definitely beautiful over and over and
over again, until they will never misspell either one
of those words again."
"I make them show all their work in math and hide it
all on their final drafts in English."
"I make them understand that if you have the brains,
then follow your heart...and if someone ever tries to
judge you by what you make, you pay them no
attention!"
"You want to know what I make?"
"I make a difference."


What does your district do to celebrate teachers? 

One simple thing anyone can do is to Tweet Teacher Week messages using the hashtag #thankateacher. 

For more ideas on how to thank a teacher visit the National Education Association website here.

Meghan Covert Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment